©2024 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Following are sample questions that are similar to those you will find on the prosthetic written examination.
1. Which of the following muscles would be MOST suitable for myoelectric control of the elbow joint by a shoulder disarticulation amputee?
A. Rhomboid major and sternocliedomastoid
B. Rhomboid major and subscapularis
C. Pectoralis major and trapezius
D. Pectoralis major and corachobrachialis
2. When the counter of the shoe fits too tightly on a SACH foot, which of the following problems can result?
A. Posterior lean of pylon
B. Less compression of the heel
C. Decrease in push-off resistance
D. Decrease in external rotation of the foot
3. A 23-year-old, wrist disarticulation amputee intends to return to work as a carpenter. Which terminal device will offer the largest range of tool handling capabilities?
A. Dorrance 555
B. Dorrance 7
C. Dorrance 88X
D. Dorrance 12P
4. The anterior trim line of the Symes prosthesis usually extends to the level of the patellar tendon in order to:
A. Provide a long lever arm to distribute force.
B. Achieve better suspension.
C. Decrease compression loads on the prosthesis.
D. Improve cosmetic appearance.
5. Venous return of the blood to the heart is assisted by the:
A. Action of the skeletal muscles.
B. Positive pressure in the heart.
C. Independent contraction of the arterial walls.
D. Arterial blood pressure.
6. A unilateral transradial prosthetic patient complains that the axilla loop of his harness is uncomfortable. The most common reason for this complaint is that the cross point is:
A. Too close to the amputated side.
B. Too close to the sound side.
C. Superior to C7.
D. Inferior to C7.
7. A transtibial amputee has an anatomical A-P measurement of 95 mm (3-3/4). What is the correct A-P measurement of the positive model for a PTB hard socket?
A. 95 mm (3-3/4)
B. 97 mm (3-7/8)
C. 101 mm (4)
D. 103 mm (4-1/8)
8. Records do not fulfill all of their purposes unless they:
A. Include a comprehensive medical history.
B. Are detailed and include a description of all symptoms and treatment.
C. Can be used for legal purposes.
D. Are maintained and up-to-date
9. A 75-year-old, quadruple-bypass, obese patient who is also a transfemoral amputee comes to you with a prescription for a suction socket with hydraulic knee unit and a dynamic response vertical shock pylon type prosthetic foot. You should:
A. Call the physician and suggest an alternate prescription.
B. Provide the prosthesis as ordered by the referring physician.
C. Tell the patient to schedule an appointment at an amputee clinic.
D. Refer patient to another practitioner for a second opinion.
10. What is the best course of action when a long- time patient asks to be referred to another practitioner?
A. Offer your services for free.
B. Provide him with a list of certified practitioners.
C. Telephone his doctor and complain.
D. Refer to a psychiatric practitioner.
Prosthetic Answer Key:
1. C 2. B 3. B 4. A 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. D 9. A 10. B