©2024 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
ABC selected a Practice Analysis Task Force (PATF) to undertake the major work involved in updating the delineation of practice. The PATF was selected to represent a wide range of key background characteristics, such as: certified pedorthists, including those solely certified as a C.Ped, as well as those with additional ABC credentials; those closer to the point of certification and more experienced practitioners; individuals from different types of work settings and representing various geographic regions; those with previous experience in ABC practice analysis studies; those having held leadership positions in ABC, or having served in other capacities such as member of the examination committees; and individuals new to the practice analysis process.
ProExam completed the following steps in collaboration with the PATF:
- Introduction: Including a description of the purpose of the survey and instructions for completing the survey
- Screening Question: To determine if respondent had been practicing as a pedorthist in the past 12 months
- Section 1: Respondents were randomly routed to rate either Tasks or Knowledge and Skills
- Tasks, including 59 tasks delineated in association with six domains of practice, or
- Knowledge and Skills, including 88 knowledge and skills statements
- Section 2: Domains, including six domains of practice
- Section 3: Patient Characteristics and Practice Descriptions
- Section 4: Pedorthic Practice Area and Device Lists, including activities performed in connection with pedorthic devices
- Section 5: Background Information, including questions about the respondent’s educational and professional background, work setting and demographic characteristics
- Section 6: Qualitative Comments, including open-ended questions regarding the changes in practice and benefits of certification