©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Guide to Maintaining Your Certification
Leave of Absence
All leave of absence requests are approved by the Continuing Education Committee according to the following criteria:
- You cannot request a leave of absence if you are currently on suspension or otherwise not in good standing.
- All leave of absence requests must be made in writing via your MY ABC account.
- A leave of absence will only be granted for up to one year and can only be requested for one of the following reasons: personal illness of a sustained duration; family leave; or military deployment. Documentation will be requested (e.g., physician statement, military deployment orders, etc.).
- During a leave of absence, you cannot use your credential for the purpose of direct patient care or for eligibility for facility accreditation. If you are found to be using your credential for either of these purposes, you will be subject to disciplinary action set forth by the Code of Professional Responsibility.
- You must continue to pay annual renewal fees and are subject to the policies regarding delinquent payment.
- Your five-year CE cycle will be extended by the equivalent length of time that you are on leave of absence.
- If you do not complete your CE credits prior to the leave expiration, your credential will be revoked. You may only reinstate your credential by taking the necessary exams.
It is your responsibility to notify ABC that you wish to reactivate your credential before the year has expired.