©2024 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Following are sample questions that are similar to those you will find on the prosthetic assistant exam.
1. Another name for an ankle disarticulation amputation is:
A. Symes amputation B. Chopart amputation C. Transmetatarsal amputation D. Lisfranc amputation
2. A PTB-SC transtibial socket design would be most appropriate for which of the following patients:
A. A patient with a mild knee flexion contracture B. A patient with limited knee flexion range of motion C. A patient with a very short transtibial amputation D. A patient with a transtibial amputation just proximal to the malleoli
3. When the shoe fits too tightly on the prosthetic foot, which of the following problems may be a result?
A. Prosthesis will lean posteriorly B. Patient will have the feeling of walking uphill C. A medial whip is created D. Shock absorption at initial contact is reduced
4. The anterior trimline of the Symes prosthesis usually extends to the level of the patellar tendon in order to:
A. Provide a long lever arm to distribute force B. Achieve a better suspension C. Decrease compression loads on the prosthesis D. Improve the cosmetic appearance
5. Venous return of the blood to the heart is assisted by the:
A. Arterial blood pressure B. Action of the skeletal muscles C. Positive pressure in the heart D. Contraction of the arterial walls
6. A unilateral transradial prosthetic patient complains that the axilla loop of his harness is uncomfortable. The most common reason for this complaint is that the cross point is:
A. Superior to C7 B. Inferior to C7 C. Too close to the amputated side D. Too close to the sound side
7. Material Safety Data Sheets should be:
A. Available to all staff that come into contact with those materials B. Kept in a locked cabinet C. Only referred to after there has been an incident D. Submitted with each Medicare claim
8. What is the best course of action when an existing patient asks to be referred to another prosthetic facility?
A. Offer your services without charging them B. Provide the patient with a list of certified practitioners C. Contact the patient’s physical therapist to discuss the patient’s wishes D. Offer to make the patient a new prosthesis
9. When the distal segment of a transfermoral prosthesis comes to a sudden stop as the knee extends during late swing, this is called:
A. Terminal swing impact B. Vaulting C. Circumduction D. Uneven step length
10. Patient records do not fulfill all of their purposes unless they:
A. Include the patient’s comprehensive medical history B. Are detailed and include a description of all symptoms and treatments C. Can be used for legal purposes D. Are legible, maintained and up-to-date
1. A 2. C 3. D 4. A 5. B 6. D 7. A 8. B 9. A 10. D