©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
(a) Any person seeking a therapeutic shoe fitter license pursuant to Section 55 (Transition Period) of the Act shall file an application with the (Agency) on forms provided by the (Agency). The application shall include the following:
A) Until January 1, (two years after law is effective), proof of Certification as a Certified Fitter of Therapeutic Shoes (CFts) from ABC or Certification as a Certified Orthotist (CO), Certified Prosthetist/Orthotist (CPO) or Certified Pedorthist (C.Ped.) from ABC; or
B) Within 60 days of the effective date of this Part, an applicant may submit proof of seven years of experience as a therapeutic shoe fitter as defined in Section 10 of the Act;
(i) At least three affidavits from referring physicians licensed under the Medical Practice Act;
(ii) Experience shall be full-time in a pedorthic or orthotic/prosthetic facility. Full-time is defined as 30 hours per week;
(iii) Verification of therapeutic shoe fitting experience;
(2) A complete work history form provided by the (Agency);
(3) The fee required in Section 80 of this Part;
(4) Certification, on forms provided by the (Agency), from the State or territory of the United States in which the applicant was originally licensed and the State in which the applicant is currently licensed, if applicable, stating:
A) The time frame during which the applicant was licensed in that jurisdiction, including the date of the original issuance of the license;
B) Whether the file on the applicant contains any record of disciplinary actions taken or pending.
(b) Any person seeking a therapeutic shoe fitter license other than in subsection (a) of this section shall file an application with the (Agency) on forms provided by the (Agency). The application shall include the following:
(1) Proof of a high school diploma or GED;
(2) Proof of completion of an ABC approved therapeutic shoe fitter education program pursuant to Section 10 of the Act;
(3) Verification of successful completion of the therapeutic shoe fitter examination set forth in Section 15;
(4) Documentation showing completion of 250 hours of work experience providing therapeutic shoes/inserts;
(5) The required fee specified in Section 80 of this Part.
(c) When the accuracy of any submitted documentation or the relevance or sufficiency of the course work or experience is questioned by the (Agency) or the Board because of lack of information, discrepancies or conflicts in information given or a need for clarification, the applicant seeking licensure shall be requested to:
(1) Provide such information as may be necessary; and/or
(2) Appear for an interview before the Board to explain such relevance or sufficiency, clarify information or clear up any discrepancies or conflicts in information.