©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
(a) Continuing Education Hour Requirements:
(1) Renewal applicants shall complete the number of hours of Continuing Education (CE) relevant to the discipline in which they are licensed, as prescribed by the Board, during each pre-renewal period. The (Agency) shall conduct audits to verify compliance with this Section. The pre-renewal period is two years preceding the expiration date of the license.
(2) Individuals licensed in (State’s name) but residing and practicing in another State must comply with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
(b) Activities for which CE credit may be earned are as follows:
(1) Verified attendance for participation in any continuing education course approved by ABC.
(2) Verified attendance at or participation in a program given by a sponsor as set forth in subsection (c)(1) of this Section.
(3) A maximum of 10 hours per pre-renewal period for:
A) Papers prepared for or delivered before recognized orthotic, prosthetic or pedorthic organizations; and/or
B) Papers published in nationally recognized orthotic, prosthetic or pedorthic journals; and/or
C) Writing a chapter in a published book about orthotics, prosthetics or pedorthics; and/or
D) Self-study courses taken through an accredited college or university or an approved sponsor, including but not limited to: training taken via teleconferencing, webinar, podcast or other with a live moderator through an accredited college or university or an approved sponsor.
F) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification by the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, National Safety Council or their international affiliates, or automated external defibrillation (AED) certification by the American Red Cross or other qualified organization as authorized by the Automated External Defibrillator Act. Five hours of continuing education may be earned for one CPR or AED certification. No more than one certification may be submitted per renewal.
G) A licensee who serves as an instructor, speaker or discussion leader of a course given by an approved sponsor will be allowed CE course credit for actual presentation time, plus actual preparation time of up to two hours for each hour of presentation. Preparation time shall not be allowed for presentations of the same course. In no case shall credit for actual time of presentation and preparation be given for more than nine hours during any renewal period.
H) The continuing education hours used to satisfy the CE requirements for renewal of an orthotic, prosthetic or pedorthic license held in another jurisdiction shall be applied toward the CE requirements for renewal of an (State’s name) orthotic, prosthetic or pedorthic license.
(4) Courses that are part of the curriculum of a university, college or other educational institution shall be allotted CE credit at the rate of 15 CE hours for each semester hour or 10 CE hours for each quarter hour of school credit awarded.
(5) A CE hour equals 60 minutes. After completion of the initial CE hour, credit may be given in one-quarter hour increments.
(c) CE Sponsors and Programs:
(1) Sponsor, as used in this Section, shall mean:
A) The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists or its affiliates;
B) The American Orthotic Prosthetic Association or its affiliates;
C) The Pedorthic Footwear Association or its affiliates;
D) The International Society of Prosthetics and Orthotics or its affiliates;
E) (State’s name) Society of Orthotics and Prosthetics;
F) The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons or its affiliates;
G) The Association of Children’s Orthotic Prosthetic Clinics or its affiliates; or
H) Any other school, college or university, State agency or any other person, firm or association that has been approved and authorized by the (Agency) to coordinate and present continuing education courses and programs in conjunction with this Section.
(2) Entities seeking approval as a CE sponsor shall file a sponsor application, along with the required fee as set forth in Section 80 of this Part. The applicant shall attest to the following:
A) Certification: That all courses and programs offered by the sponsor for CE credit will comply with the criteria in subsection (c) of this Section and all other criteria in this Section. The applicant shall be required to submit a sample program with course materials, presenter qualifications and course outline for review prior to being approved as a CE sponsor;
B) That the sponsor will be responsible for verifying attendance at each course or program and provide a certificate of completion as set forth in subsection (c)(7); and
C) That, upon request by the (Agency), the sponsor will submit such evidence as is necessary to establish compliance with this Section. Such evidence shall be required when the (Agency) has reason to believe that there is not full compliance with the Act and this Part and that the following information is necessary to ensure compliance:
(i) A copy of a Certificate of Attendance or Participation which meets the requirements set forth in subsection (c)(7); and
(ii) A sample of a CE course that includes, but is not limited to, course materials, books and instructor credentials.
(3) Each sponsor shall submit a written notice to the (Agency) of a course offering at least 30 days prior to the course date. The notice shall include a course outline and the location, date and time the course is to be offered. The notice shall also contain the credit hours earned upon successful completion of the course.
(4) Each sponsor shall submit an annual application along with the required renewal fee set forth in Section 80 of this Part. With the application the sponsor shall be required to submit to the (Agency) a list of all courses and programs offered in the past two years, which includes a description, location, date and time the course was offered.
(5) State agencies, State colleges and State universities in (State’s name) shall submit a sponsor application in accordance with subsections (c)(2) and (3) above; however, they shall be exempt from payment of the fee.
(6) All courses and programs shall:
A) Contain materials that contribute to the advancement, extension and enhancement of professional skills and knowledge in the practice of orthotics, prosthetics, pedorthics orthotic fitting, mastectomy fitting or therapeutic shoe fitting;
B) Specify the course objectives, course content and teaching methods to be used;
C) Be developed and presented by persons with education and/or experience in the subject matter of the program;
D) Specify the number of CE hours that may be applied to fulfilling the (State’s name) CE requirements for license renewal; and
E) Include some mechanism whereby participants evaluate the overall quality of the program.
(7) All programs given by approved sponsors shall be open to all licensed orthotists, prosthetists, pedorthists, fitters, assistants and technicians and not be limited to the members of a single organization or a group and shall specify the number of CE hours that may be applied toward (State’s name) CE requirements for a license.
(8) It shall be the responsibility of the sponsor to provide each participant in an approved program or course with a certificate of attendance or participation, which shall contain the following information:
A) The name, contact information and license number of the sponsor;
B) The name and license number of the participant;
C) A brief Statement of the subject matter;
D) The number of clock hours actually attended in each program;
E) The date and place of the program; and
F) The signature of the sponsor.
(9) The sponsor shall maintain course materials and attendance records containing all information in subsection (c)(7) above for not less than five years, except for the signature of the sponsor.
(10) The sponsor shall be responsible for assuring that no renewal applicant shall receive CE credit for time not actually spent attending the program.
(11) The (Agency), upon recommendation of the Board, shall withdraw, suspend or place on probation the approval of a CE sponsor when, at any time, the quality of the CE fails to meet the established criteria as set forth in this Section or if the sponsorship approval was based upon false or deceptive information or if any other related license of the sponsor or instructor is suspended, revoked or otherwise disciplined.
(12) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Section, the (Agency) or Board may evaluate any sponsor of any continuing education program at any time.
(13) The (Agency) shall maintain a list of all approved continuing education sponsors.
(d) Continuing Education Earned in Other Jurisdictions.
(1) If a renewal applicant will be earning or has earned CE hours in another jurisdiction, the applicant is not licensed in that jurisdiction and the course is not presented by an approved sponsor, the applicant shall submit an individual program approval request form, along with a $___ processing fee, to have the program reviewed. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in subsection (c)(5) of this Section. Applicants may seek individual program approval prior to participation in the course or program. All individual program approval requests shall be submitted at least 90 days prior to the expiration date of the license.
(2) If a licensee fails to submit an out-of-State CE approval form within the required time frame, late approval may be obtained by submitting the approval request form with the $___ processing fee plus a $___ per CE hour late fee not to exceed $___. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in subsection (c)(3) of this Section.
(e) Certification of Compliance with CE Requirements:
(1) Each renewal applicant shall certify, on the renewal application, full compliance with the CE requirements set forth in subsection (a) above.
(2) The (Agency) may require additional documentation in order to demonstrate compliance with the CE requirements. It is the responsibility of each renewal applicant to retain or otherwise produce evidence of compliance. Such additional documentation will be required in the context of a (Agency) audit.
(3) When there appears to be a lack of compliance with CE requirements, an applicant will be notified and may request an interview with the Board. At that time the Board may recommend that steps be taken to begin formal disciplinary proceedings as required by Section ___ of the (State’s name) Administrative Procedure Act.
(f) Extension of CE Requirements:
(1) Any renewal applicant seeking renewal of his/her license without having fully complied with these CE requirements shall file with the (Agency) a renewal application, the renewal fee allowed for in Section 75(a) of the Act, a Statement setting forth the facts concerning such non-compliance and a request for an extension of the CE requirements on the basis of such facts. If the (Agency), upon the written recommendation of the Board, finds from such affidavit or any other evidence submitted that good cause has been shown for granting an extension, the (Agency) shall waive enforcement of such requirements for the renewal period for which the applicant has applied.
(2) Good cause shall be defined as an inability to devote sufficient hours to fulfilling the CE requirements during the applicable pre-renewal period because of:
A) Full-time service in the armed forces of the United States of America during a substantial part of such period; or
B) Extreme hardship, which shall be determined on an individual basis by the Board, and shall be limited to documentation of an incapacitating illness documented by a currently licensed physician, a physical inability to travel to the sites of approved programs or any other similar extenuating circumstances.
(3) If an interview with the Board is requested at the time the request for such extension is filed with the (Agency), the renewal applicant shall be given at least 20 days written notice of the date, time and place of such interview by certified mail, return receipt requested.
(4) Any renewal applicant who submits a request for extension pursuant to subsection (f)(1) of this Section shall be deemed to be in good standing until the (Agency)’s final decision on the application has been made.