©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
An ABC certified fitter-mastectomy is a health care professional who is specifically educated and trained in the provision of breast prostheses and post-mastectomy items and services. This includes patient assessment, formulation of a treatment plan, implementation of the treatment plan, follow-up and practice management.
The ABC certified fitter-mastectomy is bound by the ABC Code of Professional Responsibility which is enforced by a Professional Discipline program. The certified fitter-mastectomy is obligated to support and conform to professional responsibilities that promote and assure the overall welfare of the patient and the integrity of the profession. The time limited certification expires without compliance with the Mandatory Continuing Education program. The practice of an ABC certified mastectomy fitter includes, but is not limited to:
1) Assessment of specific prescription or patient’s needs for breast prostheses as it relates to or includes, but is not limited to, the evaluation of the following:
2) Formulation of a treatment plan based upon an assessment to alleviate limitations and enhance function. The mastectomy fitter’s treatment includes, but is not limited to:
3) Implementation of the mastectomy fitter’s treatment plan includes, but is not limited to:
4) Utilization of a follow-up treatment plan that ensures successful mastectomy prosthetic outcomes, patient health and quality of life which includes but is not limited to:
5) Compliance with practice management plans to develop and document policies and procedures to ensure patient well-being which includes, but is not limited to:
6) Promotion of competency and enhancement of post-mastectomy professional practice to contribute to the profession’s body of knowledge includes, but is not limited to, participation in: