©2024 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Following are sample questions that are similar to those you will find on the pedorthic exam.
1. A patient has pain and callousing of the second metatarsal head. The physician has prescribed a metatarsal pad. Where should the pad be placed?
A. Under the metatarsal head B. Between the second and third metatarsal heads C. Proximal to the second metatarsal head D. Distal to the second metatarsal head
2. A middle-aged woman is referred to your facility with a painful flexible flatfoot deformity. The prescription calls for custom orthoses to obtain subtalar neutral. The recommended impression technique utilizes:
A. The standing position B. Semi-weight bearing position C. A foot block D. A Harris mat
3. Bivalve casting is used:
A. To make a plaster negative cast for custom shoe making B. As an alternative to foam-art for making foot orthoses C. To make a negative cast for foot orthoses D. To make a positive model for foot orthoses
4. Achilles tendinitis may be treated effectively with the following:
A. Heel lift B. UCBL orthoses C. Rocker sole D. Medial heel wedge
5. Metatarsal pads redistribute the weight from the metatarsal heads to the:
A. Calcaneus B. Cuboid C. Distal phalanges D. Shafts
6. The range of motion at the ankle joint necessary to complete a normal gait is:
A. 5° dorsal flexion 10° plantar flexion B. 8-10° dorsal flexion 20° plantar flexion C. 20° dorsal flexion 20° plantar flexion D. 20° dorsal flexion 50° plantar flexion
7. A realistic goal of pedorthic treatment for a diabetic patient would be:
A. Healing an acute neuropathic fracture B. Healing a deep ulcer C. Preventing plantar ulcers D. Healing a sub-acute neuropathic fracture
8. Your patient has a heel that leans outward. How would you document this on your records?
A. Valgus B. Varus C. Adducted D. Abducted
9. Under the Therapeutic Shoe Bill, a Medicare beneficiary is entitled to:
A. 3 pairs of depth shoes and 3 pairs of multidensity inserts per fiscal year B. 3 pairs of depth shoes and 1 pair of multidensity inserts per fiscal year C. 1 pair of depth shoes and up to 3 pairs of multi-density inserts per calendar year D. 1 pair of custom shoes and up to 3 pairs of multi-density inserts per calendar year
10. A patient is seen for follow-up. They were fit previously with diabetic shoes and multidensity inserts. You discover the patient has developed a small open ulcer under the left first metatarsal head. The MOST appropriate course of action would be to:
A. Refer patient back to their referring physician B. Add a layer of plastazote to both inserts C. Add a medial arch cookie to the left insert D. Fit patient with a new multi-density insert
1. C 2. B 3. A 4. A 5. D 6. B 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. A