©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Following are sample questions that are similar to those you will find on the mastectomy fitter examination.
1. Another name for the breastbone is the:
A. Sternum B. Clavicle C. Sternal notch D. Scapula
2. Which of the following muscles supports the breast tissue?
A. Pectoralis B. Deltoid C. Rhomboid D. Supraspinatous
3. A patient exhibits a rounded shoulder syndrome, this is MOST likely caused by:
A. Poor posture due to low back pain B. Congenital breast asymmetry C. Scar tissue and adhesions at the surgery site D. Increased edema secondary to radiation therapy
4. The area of dark skin surrounding the nipple is referred to as:
A. Areola B. Lobule C. Adipose tissue D. Lactiferous
5. The shoulder is which type of joint?
A. Hinge joint B. Pivot joint C. Saddle joint D. Ball and socket joint
6. Which of the following would be MOST appropriate for a patient who is only 1 week postop from a mastectomy?
A. Sports bra B. Camisole with drain pouches C. Bra with integrated breast form D. Mastectomy bra with underwire
7. A patient who only has Medicare funding asks about their financial responsibility related to the provision of a custom breast form. You should tell them that:
A. They will be responsible for 20% of the usual and customary charge B. They will be responsible for 80% or the usual and customary charge C. They may be responsible for 20% of the Medicare allowable charge D. They may be responsible for 80% of the Medicare allowable charge
8. A patient with limited shoulder range of motion (ROM) should be fit with:
A. Fiberfill form with camisole B. Bra with integrated breast form C. An oval shaped form D. Front closure bra
9. HIPAA regulations address:
A. Workplace safety and safe use of patient equipment B. Prevention of the spread of infectious diseases C. Standards for protection of healthcare information D. Fair labor practices in a healthcare setting
10. During an initial follow-up appointment the patient states that they have not been able to wear the prosthesis because there has been increased redness and swelling at the incision site. The fitter should:
A. Refer the patient back to their physician B. Measure the patient for a new bra and prosthesis C. Adjust the bra to accommodate the swelling D. Tell the patient to discontinue use of the prosthesis until the swelling resolves
1. A 2. A 3. C 4. A 5. D 6. B 7. C 8. D 9. C 10. A