©2023 by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be produced in any form without written permission of the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics, Inc.
Following are sample questions that are similar to those you will find on the orthotic assistant examination.
1. The distal portion of the fibula is referred to as the:
A. Medial malleolus B. Lateral malleolus C. Medial condyle D. Lateral condyle
2. Weakness of which muscle is commonly referred to as foot drop?
A. Tibialis anterior B. Tibialis posterior C. Gastrocnemius D. Peroneus longus
3. The measurement for a TLSO (anterior hyperextension orthosis) should be taken with the patient in what position?
A. Standing erect B. Sitting erect C. Lying prone D. Lying supine
4. The trimlines of a ground reaction ankle foot orthosis (AFO) should be anterior to the malleoli to serve as:
A. Dorsiflexion assist B. Plantar flexion assist C. Dorsiflexion stop D. Plantar flexion stop
5. The primary cause of carpal tunnel syndrome is compression of which nerve?
A. Ulnar nerve B. Radial nerve C. Tibial nerve D. Median nerve
6. While seeing a patient for follow up, they ask if they can discontinue use of their orthosis. Which of the following is the BEST action to take?
A. Tell the patient that they must continue to wear the orthosis B. Inform the treating practitioner about the patient’s request C. Inform the patient that they must check with their physical therapist before discontinuing use of the orthosis D. Note the patient’s statement in the chart and schedule them for another follow up appointment.
7. A patient who only has Medicare funding asks about their financial responsibility related to the provision of a new orthosis. You should tell them that:
A. They will be responsible for 20% of the usual and customary charge B. They will be responsible for 80% or the usual and customary charge C. They will be responsible for 20% of the Medicare allowable charge D. They will be responsible for 80% of the Medicare allowable charge
8. The main functional purpose of a knee orthosis in the treatment of an injured anterior cruciate ligament is:
A. Prevention of full knee extension B. Prevention of full knee flexion C. Prevention of all transverse plane motion D. Prevention of all coronal plane motion
9. Universal precautions refers to:
A. Understanding all of the safety rules for lab equipment B. Assuring that all floor surfaces are clean and dry in the patient care area C. Avoiding contact with patients’ body fluids by means of wearing exam gloves D. Taking precautions to not come into contact with the patients’ clothing
10. Material Safety Data Sheets should be:
A. Available to all staff that come into contact with those materials B. Kept in a locked cabinet C. Only referred to after there has been an incident D. Submitted with each Medicare claim
1. B 2. A 3. D 4. C 5. D 6. B 7. C 8. A 9. C 10. A